Newlayout

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Delicious Dishes


(It's been a while so it's a long one tonight!)
Now that cooler temps have arrived I've started baking again! I LOVE baking during the fall and winter but not so much in the summer, it's usually SO hot here and the last thing you want to do is make your home even hotter, so we do a lot of grilling during the hotter months.
Two nights ago I baked a whole chicken, green beans, and croissant rolls for dinner. It was delicious and made the house smell so good (I think that's 1/2 the goodness when my home smells good from good food:) The next night I had to run off to school, so it was a sandwich night. Tonight I finally was able to use some more of the baked chicken that was left over and tried Chicken Pot Pie (pictured). Absolutely delicious thanks to my Betty Crocker recipe book! Although I tried to cut down on the fat and only made a top crust instead of a bottom crust as well. I'm glad I did because it was plenty rich!
So I still have chicken left over and will make homemade chicken noodle soup tomorrow. Or maybe I'll freeze it - have to see what I feel like baking tomorrow. My husband loves when I experiment and serve up delicious dishes - so it's fun trying new things!

As for my girl and school, she's loving it and I'm loving it too :) I feel like it's a partnership with the teacher and us. I love the emphasis on Jesus, the atmosphere and vision of the staff, as well as the academics(she's reading fantastic!)
The other day she told me her friend got in trouble for talking during quiet time because she was singing " Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord, wait upon the Lord." (Lincoln Brewster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYx4Cv9CPFE) "wow" I thought, I'm glad that's what she got in trouble for and not for singing something else!

She keeps asking me when she can take the bus, she can't because we don't live in the vicinity of the bus route. So she asked me if we were going to move closer, which we're looking at, and if we did it would be a "dream come true" for her. Wow - this girl REALLY wants to ride a school bus! LOL!
As for my boy, we're settling into a little routine and I'm loving spending time with him. Although he misses "sissy" so I'm trying to help him adjust with that too.
I've started a little bit of homeschooling with him (I homeschool for preschool) but he's just over 2 years so I'm trying to make it fun and keep up with his short attention span. It's funny, well I think it is, because he's the youngest and is bossy wanting things his way (a common trait in toddlers!) but I always thought younger children weren't that bossy. I wasn't and was pretty easy going as a child but that's my personality so maybe birth order doesn't have as much bearing as I thought? Anyway, he likes things a certain way so has good Leadership abilities which I pray for wisdom in guiding him. I put a new table runner on my coffee table the other day and he told me he didn't "yike it!" So he brought out the previous one, took off the new one, and put the other one back on. Then put my pumpkin decoration in the middle. Funny I thought then I switched it back. I thought of all the things that were "wrong" with that scenario but then decided to look at the good :)
Speaking of looking at the good, God has put that on my heart lately instead of looking at the negative.
I really have a heart for people and want to convey his love and freedom he desires for them. I sometimes wonder if people really know how much God loves them. I don't even think I realize it half the time. Do they know how absolutely special God created them and how awesome it is that the HUGE GREAT BIG God of the universe wants to have a relationship with them? Do you know it? I'm still learning and in awe how much I need and want my ways to be his ways.

Well I'm going to go for now, I'm getting tired and need to help daddy put our pip and squeak to bed.

3 comments:

Rosilind Jukic said...

I love reading about your kids!! Soooo cute that your girl was singing that song! Wow! I agree - if you're going to get in trouble, let it be for a positive thing and not a negative (like, when other girls might be singing Lady Gaga or something...)

Your Chicken Pot Pie looks awesome. I've been thinking of making that, too. Maybe I'll try it when Z's back on 1st shift.

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
Have a nice day!

Karen said...

Oh, your pot pie looks delicious!
So glad you posted it! I forget about pot pies and always jump straight to soup for leftovers. I'm gonna keep this in mind!

It's good to get a little peak into lives of my cousins living so far away! The kids are beautiful! And it's so good to hear what they are up to!

I can identify with the little lady's desire for the bus rides. When my kids were little and my Daddy was still driving for TriMet, we always had to ride once around the loop on his route so they could 'ride the city bus and say hi to Papa!' It made for big excitement! Aah, the memories!

Sending my love to everyone, have a blessed autumn!