Newlayout

Thursday, June 23, 2011

3 cheers for Summer!

Summer is here! YAY!

First I have a HUGE praise! My kiddies were playing in their little pool this morning and a 4-5' tree branch fell about 30' and hit the other side of the pool 1-2' from where they were playing! Thank you God for watching over them!

I like living in an area that has 4 seasons but summer time is my favorite! I think it's a combination of things like the smell and taste of bbq (it doesn't taste the same to me during the winter), the smell of a fresh mowed lawn, fireflies - our ALL time favorite, knowing when you get up in the a.m. you can dress like it's summer - no more sweatshirts on the 4th of July! (if you've lived in the Pacific Northwest - you know what I mean by this), the kiddie pool, the ice cream truck, and I could go on and on.
So I've decided to start some experimental cooking - well not really - just some new dishes for us. Last night was bbq'd spare ribs with a dry rub and sauce, baked potatoes, and broccoli. Tonight I'm trying bbq'd jerk chicken! I've been marinating the chicken since this a.m. and decided to give Tyler Florence's recipe a try. I'll report back.

It's been a few days since I've made my Jerk Chicken and I posted it on the comments but meant to add it here!
The recipe was actually really good! The taste wasn't what I expected - I think of Jerk chicken as more of a BBQ flavor but this was more spice. Not hot spicy - just a lot of spice flavor! So maybe I haven't been clear on Jerk Chicken flavor or maybe this is an offshoot of it. Either way - I'd definitely make it again!







3 comments:

Rosilind Jukic said...

Oh yum! That sounds totally delish. I can't wait to hear how it turned out. I wish we could bbq...but apartment living doesn't really allow for it. :( But, I love dressing for summer, too.

Karen said...

Branches like that are called Widow-Makers by the loggers in the northwest! Thank God the children weren't hurt!

And yes, I know exactly what you mean by having to wear a sweatshirt, or worse a raincoat, on the 4th of July!

Hope you guys have a wonderful summer and can't wait to hear more about what's happening with the family on the other coast! Please share your recipes!

Who am I? said...

The recipe was actually really good! The taste wasn't what I expected - I think of Jerk chicken as more of a BBQ flavor but this was more spice. Not hot spicy - just a lot of spice flavor! So maybe I haven't been clear on Jerk Chicken flavor or maybe this is an offshoot of it. Either way - I'd definitely make it again!