Newlayout

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Still cooking!

Does anyone else get in a dinner rut? I sure do and have been in one lately. Ugh...
Last night I was talking to my mom and she happened to mention a new recipe she was going to try. So she asked me if I wanted to try it and it sounded do-able so I did!
Saute onions until they're carmelized & add garlic ( I did 3 cloves - so it was stronger)
Add 1+ cup of milk, 2 cups of cooked noodles, and cooked chicken - cut up.
Then 2+ cups of shredded parmesan cheese.
Bring it all to a boil and coat the noodles with the sauce then serve!
It was delicious! I'm sure you could add veggies too. I had broccoli on the side though. My husband told me it tasted like he would be served at Macaroni Grill - but way less $$$ of course!
I've actually been watching the Food Network at night and feeling a little inspired to try new things and be more creative with my cooking. It's been so interesting to watch the Challenge cooking show and Cupcake Wars too. I think it would be SO fun to try something like that with my girl friends - just need to find a place that has more then one stove/oven!

I tried growing a garden this year and can definitely see areas I can improve on. Most things are doing pretty good. Although for some reason all I can grow is a lot of zucchini flowers. NO actual zucchini's! Grrrr!!! I have been able to get 2 green peppers, several banana peppers, green beans, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, and tomatoes! I have a lot more tomatoes then I thought I would - which is nice. I have a compost bin and out from under it has grown about 5 or 6 tomato plants! Then I found one up front in one of my flower beds - which I'm not sure how it got there but can think of a number of possibilities.
Anyway, yesterday I went to the grocery store and it was fun not buying so many veggies because I have some growing at home!
I'm also learning new area's that I need to grow in the Lord. Finding the balance of caring about people without taking their problem's on as my own. Which actually tries to take the place of God in their lives. My struggle especially is when it comes to children. Yesterday I saw a lady about 5 months pregnant standing outside smoking. I thought about saying something to her but, no doubt, she's heard it all. Then I started thinking - what's going on in her life that she's so stressed and has to smoke? Is she okay? Or is it just a nasty habit that she can't quit and doesn't care about hurting her unborn child? Either way - I KNOW there's power in prayer so I'm going to pray for her. I may never see her again - but God will.

I have to remind myself that God loves everyone SO much more than I do or am capable of.



2 comments:

Rosilind Jukic said...

Oh that sounds yummy!!!!! I'm going to try that next week. Z loves chicken and white sauces- so any chicken dish with a white sauce is an instant winner. :)

Karen said...

I do the a simular version of that pasta dish. It's one of the fastest things I can put on the table that still qualifies as cooking from scratch!

Congrats on the garden, everything tastes better when you know that you grew it yourself!

For your zuchini problem, maybe you need to borrow a little paint brush from the kids' art supplies and tickle all the flowers one after the other. And, not all flowers on a zuc will produce fruit--some are male.

We enjoyed getting zuc from our garden for the first time in many years. It's been a fun year for me outside!

Hope to see more pictures of my darling little cousins sometime soon!